Monday, May 4, 2020

Life During Lockdown Due to Covid-19

I am terrified.

I haven't been sleeping well, worrying. Especially since there are three senior citizens in our household, all of whom have co-morbidities, one of whom has a mental illness and needs to go to the hospital monthly, at the very least.

st. michael meycauayan rooftop view
We get our daily dose of Vitamin D at our rooftop.

My sissy and I have been quite diligent, taking necessary precautions to keep the family safe. The problem is the senior citizens in our household think they are invincible. Even at a supermarket in Malhacan, I have observed some senior citizens talking in groups, never mind if they don't know each other, just met each other at the queue. Good-bye social distancing. I hate the queues there, cutting into the line is rampant so it's imperative for one to be there at 6AM, even if the supermarket opens at 9AM then, 8AM now.

We have our pork supply delivered and purchase chicken, seafood and fish from mobile palengke/vans that sell them. We haven't tried ordering groceries online, the service just introduced in our area. So we still go out for groceries, medicine, bread and produce. Crazy enough, we now have to go out once a week when pre-lockdown we only venture out for supplies twice a month - a trip to the wet market and another to the supermarket and drugstore. The window hours, having to walk (I'm the tribute and I only know how to drive people up the wall, not a vehicle.) about three miles to and fro, the weight of our purchases make the multiple trips necessary. I have developed a routine to make the most of my run. First stop would be at the drugstore for a queue number. Then instead of wasting two hours at their waiting area, I would either buy produce from the nearby wet market or shop for groceries at the next-door supermarket.

Aside from a mask, I've taken to wearing plastic gloves at the supermarket when I have to handle stuff from shelves aside from the push cart. I have to be mindful and take them off when I have to reach into my purse though. That's cross-contamination waiting to happen right there. Without gloves, I would liberally douse my hands with rubbing alcohol when I touch anything.

Perspiration when it gets into one's eyes and you can't immediately do anything about it is a (bleep). You can't even drink or eat. That would mean taking off your mask.

Once home, I 'd wash my hands then disinfect everything I have brought with me home, including my footwear. We would leave all unessential containers/packaging outside. I would then take a bath. Even at home my sissy and I consciously practice social distancing so it would be second nature when we step out.

Everyday we would disinfect with bleach surfaces that we usually come in contact with.

Yes, it's a new level of ka-praningan/paranoia. Well, we certainly can't afford to let our guard down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. Your questions, reactions, thoughts are most appreciated.