Monday, June 24, 2019

Daiso Camellia Oil in Shampoo Review

A few years back, Shiseido Tsubaki Shampoos and Conditioners became quite the rage. People were raving about how soft, frizz-free and fragrant their hair have become from using these hair products. Some also experienced less hair fall.

When I first heard of Tsubaki, my brain immediately went female childhood best friend in "Your Lie in April." Because, of course, me who's into anime would think that. Ang layo. Tsubaki is a flowering plant priced for its oil. The oil is widely used in Japan for hair and skin care, either as a product ingredient or as it is, because of its moisturizing ability. It's said to be used by geishas and maikos for lustrous hair. (1)

There were those who were able to snap Shiseido Tsubaki Shampoos and Conditioners from Daiso, priced higher than the usual P88, but amazingly lower than in other stores. I think it's the price point, still higher than mainstream shampoos and conditioners, and availability which kept these products from the masses. Me, I never got to get my hands on them. I think those few years back was when I experienced prolonged lost time, marked by my absence on socmed. I was able to try Daiso's Camellia Oil in Shampoo though.
 
Daiso Tsubaki Shampoo

See, Tsubaki happens to be Camellia japonica. It's one of the ingredients of this shampoo.

Ingredients: water, sodium laureth sulfate, cocamide dea, sodium chloride, glycol distearate, disodium edta, citric acid, camellia japonica seed oil, fragrance, methylparaben

Daiso Camellia Oil in Shampoo does not lather as much as other well-known, widely available shampoos. Its mild floral (the kind of floral that has a citrusy tang to it) yet unisex scent dissipates fast. A good thing if you don't want the scent of shampoo clashing with your perfume.

The difference between this vs other shampoos is already noticeable while still in the shower. Still wet, my hair feels light and slick instead of clumpy, heavy, weighed down by water as with other shampoos. It's like I've used a hard-working conditioner. Afterwards, running my hand through my air-dried hair, it seems as if I've used a hair serum. It's soft and smooth but not greasy. It looked sleek. However, it does nothing for the dry tips of my hair. I'm due for a trim anyways, so...

Those who are after Japan-made tsubaki / camellia shampoos would do well to read labels. The Daiso Camellia Oil in Shampoo I got to try was made in Taiwan. But then, as any Daiso fan would tell you, not all items in Daiso stores are made in Japan. That wouldn't stop me from getting a refill when I come across this again at Daiso.

(1) For more on Tsubaki and Camellia Oils, Wawaza has this cliffnotes post

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. Your questions, reactions, thoughts are most appreciated.