Friday, June 23, 2017

Silver Vine Powder - Daiso Find for the Cats in your Life

The cats have demanded I write about one of their favorite kitty treats or else they would climb my window screen every night and meow incessantly until I lose my mind. Oh, wait that's what one of our new cats, Bandit, has been doing for almost a month now. Crazy cat thinks screens are scratching posts. Yes, I am now naming our cats after Neko Atsume cats based on their fur color.

I first learned about silver vine powder from Lady E. She mentioned in a post a cat scratch pad available at Daiso. Said scratch pad comes with powder to be sprinkled on it. At Daiso Trinoma I found this.


daiso cat silver vine powder

The magical, fun-times inducing powder. Cat Silver Vine Powder.


Silver vine powder is similar to catnip. It gives most  adult cats a high. Everything Wikipedia says about its effect on most cats is true. Rolling, check. Chin and cheek rubbing, check. Drooling, check. Licking (the silver vine powder), check.

Most (not all, okay) of my cats agree that this is the bomb.  The neighbor's cat I've named Galis (guess why that's his name.) is the most affected. He would roll, droll and rub his cheek on the floor.

What I do is I would bring the kitties into the room. I would then sprinkle a small amount (not the the entire contents of a sachet) on my cats' toys, boxes and sometimes on the floor. The kitties would then sniff the powder, sometimes lick it and then after a few moments, they start wriggling on the powdered surface or rubbing their cheek on the toy.

Product Warnings:
  • when something is wrong stop the use and consult a vet.
  • refrain from using near unsteady things or stairs. (because chances are it's you - not your cats - who might fall from the stairs while laughing at / fawning over them).
  • keep beyond the reach of children and pets (heh).
  • do not use except the original usage. (read: does not work on people).

Nothing about keeping the fur-babies from ingesting the powder. So far, the kitties have shown no signs that would have me hightailing them to the vet.

According to package instructions, silvervine powder can be used:
  • good for frustrated (Hmm, I usually give the kitties a sprinkling when they look sad or lethargic. How can you tell when your cats are frustrated? Spud raises her paw, "Um, when you still would not allow us to catch the red dot?" "Or when you withhold that piece of fish just to hear us beg a minute more for it. You evil, evil person." Purrtrick nods)
  • time without an appetite
  • at a toy
  • for training where to claw (Fail. The cats still claw whichever they feel like clawing. I'm looking at you, Bandit.)
  • as a reward (Again, fail. Reward method does not work on me - I can't resist babying them - or on my cats.)
  • for stress emission of the mating season (Which is why this is more of a hit with my adult male cats.)
I was afraid that this would no longer be available at Daiso so there was one time I bought five packs just in case. The last one lost its power by the time I opened the sachets. Could have expired. So yeah, you can't really hoard this because it loses it sway over the cats after some time. They still have this at Daiso Trinoma though last time we visited. A box of 8 0.5g is only P88. It's made in Japan so I'd think they have this in Daiso stores in other countries.

For more on Daiso Japan Philippines products, branches and promos, drop by their facebook page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. Your questions, reactions, thoughts are most appreciated.